Sedation Dentistry In Fort Wayne, IN
For some people, the fear of the dentist is so paralyzing that they neglect important and necessary dental treatment for years. Although common, dental anxiety can jeopardize your health and increase the severity of your dental problems.
At Sycamore Hills Dentistry, we understand that patients have a wide range of needs and concerns related to dental health. That’s why we offer sedation dentistry in Fort Wayne.
Conscious sedation dentistry is used to safely increase comfort and reduce anxiety through the use of sedative medications so that nervous patients can receive proper, comfortable treatment.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
At Sycamore Hills Dentistry, we offer a full array of sedation services. These include:
- Oral Sedation Dentistry: Oral sedatives are taken by mouth the night before the procedure and one hour prior to treatment. During the procedure, you will continue to breathe on your own, but reach a relaxed, drowsy state. You may not remember the procedure, and someone will need to drive you home.
- IV Sedation Dentistry: IV (intravenous) sedation is administered through your vein. It works quickly and allows the dentist to control the level of sedative you receive during the procedure. Patients cannot eat before the procedure and will need someone to drive them to and from their appointment. With IV sedation dentistry, the patient can breathe without assistance, but will remain in a deep, relaxed state. It is common to feel less aware of what is happening and have little to no memory of the procedure.
- Nitrous Sedation Dentistry: Nitrous oxide, commonly referred to as “laughing gas,” is a mild form of sedation that is administered through a nasal mask. Laughing gas effects are felt immediately and evoke a general sense of well-being. Patients remain alert while under nitrous oxide sedation, but relaxed, and may experience tingling or floating sensations. Once the mask is removed, the effects of nitrous oxide wear off quickly, and you will be able to drive home following the procedure.
Regardless of the type of conscious sedation dentistry used, our team will monitor you closely throughout the procedure. Patients can enjoy worry-free treatment while dedicated dental personnel help you feel completely comfortable from the beginning of treatment to recovery.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
One of the greatest benefits of sedation dentistry is its ability to minimize — and even eliminate — a patient’s intense fears of dental treatment.
In addition to easing patient fears, dental sedatives offer the following benefits:
- Minimize complications: Some patients experience severe gag reflex or sensitive teeth and gums, which can complicate dental procedures. With the help of a dental sedative, these symptoms can be reduced so that patients can relax in the treatment chair and the dentist can focus on the procedure.
- Accomplish more in fewer visits: Generally, extensive procedures require multiple appointments. With sedation dentistry, however, multiple dental issues can be treated in as little as one office visit. Whether you need a simple filling or a complex dental restoration, sedation can help keep patients comfortable and worry-free so that our dentists accomplish more in less time.
- Increase comfort: Pain and discomfort associated with some dental treatments intensify a nervous patient’s fears of the dentist. Under a dental sedative, pain is significantly reduced or diminished to deliver a relaxed and pleasant dental experience for the patient.
Learn More Today
At Sycamore Hills Dentistry, we care about patient comfort and the quality of our treatments. Thanks to advancements in dental sedation, patients can overcome their anxiety to receive necessary dental treatment — all while feeling relaxed.
Our practice is proud to be one of the few general dental offices in the state that offers IV sedation dentistry and oral sedation dentistry, as it requires advanced education and specialized equipment. Dr. Nicholas Rorick, a graduate of the Indiana University School of Dentistry, is licensed to administer and perform IV sedation.
Have you been putting off much-needed dental work because you are nervous to visit your dentist? If so, you may be a good candidate for sedation dentistry in Fort Wayne. Contact Sycamore Hills Dentistry today to make an appointment.